Opening for MATERIAL ENGINEER
1. Collects samples of soils and construction materials in the field to measure physical characteristics; may be required to collect and test environmental media and measure environmental characteristics.
2. Performs a variety of tests on construction materials including soils, reinforcing steel, sand, aggregates, concrete, asphalt and other mixes, cement-treated bases, and other materials, using sophisticated materials-testing equipment.
3. Operates nuclear and electronic instruments to determine relative compaction of soils; calibrates and adjusts instruments to compensate for changing conditions.
4. Inspects facilities where materials are used and stored to ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local regulations and ordinances.
5. Inspects the operations of asphalt and concrete batch plants; checks equipment, weights, temperatures and materials for compliance with specifications; tests and calculates aggregate gradings for field mix design.
6. Records and reports test results after performing mathematical calculations, making graphical solutions and graphical representations.
7. Communicates orally and in writing with supervisor and staff members, City and outside agency representatives, contractors, business and property owners, or the general public.
8. Uses a two-way radio, cell phone or pager to communicate with supervisors and other staff.
9. May use field air monitoring equipment to test atmosphere or other conditions at construction and maintenance sites; may calibrate and adjust equipment in the field and interpret results.
10. May make screening level evaluations of disposal requirements for common construction and environmental materials.
11. Handles 55-gallon drums to collect samples; lifts 90-pound bags of cement with assistance; lifts 5-gallon buckets of soil samples; uses wheelbarrow, coring machine and other materials or equipment to collect samples or conduct tests.
12. Performs related duties as required.